Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Top 5 Books of March 2014

Um, how is it April already?  This means that I officially need to start preparing for the SATs in June. *shudder* I already have a stack of study books from the library and should probably crack them open soon.  Anyway, check out my list of books I read in March:

- Fins Are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs
- Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
- The Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel
- Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen
- The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors
- Like Moonlight at Low Tide by Nicole Quigley
- Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins
- Let the Storm Break by Shannon Messenger
- Enders by Lissa Price
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter
- Resist by Sarah Crossan
- Camelot Burning by Kathryn Rose
- Beautiful Days by Anna Godbersen
- UnSouled by Neal Shusterman
- The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan

My top five favorites:

1. Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen.  There's something about this author's writing that just sweeps me away.  It's so rich in details and full of historical accuracy, and you just feel completely lost in the time period.  And the fact that this book is set in the 1920s (one of my favorite historical eras) makes it even better.  Godbersen's books are kind of like a historical version of Gossip Girl.  If you like drama and plenty of historical intrigue, her books are a must-read.

2. Let the Storm Break by Shannon Messenger.  I was so impressed with this sequel!  I loved the first book, Let the Sky Fall, and so I'm happy to say that this book is just as good as the first.  The plot and backstory are so creative.  Messenger has taken a unique idea and turned it into a spellbinding and whimsical book series.  And with that cliffhanger ending, I can't wait to get my hands on the final book.

3. The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan.  I'm always going to love John Flanagan's books, no matter what.  I read the first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series when I was about eleven, and now the twelfth and final book in this series is out.  It's hard to believe, and I'm going to miss this series so much.  Reading this book was nostalgic for me.  And a certain tragic event made me so sad. *sniffles* Sad as it was, this book was perfect in every way.

4. Looking for Alaska by John Green.  None of John Green's books will ever be as good as The Fault in Our Stars, but Looking for Alaska definitely earned four stars from me.  Thankfully I didn't look up spoilers before I read it, because there was a twist halfway through that totally changes the book.  I was shocked at what happened and couldn't stop reading to find out how it would be resolved.  Although some small aspects annoyed me slightly, I still very much enjoyed this book.  It has some of John Green's greatest quotes in it and I'd definitely reread it again.

5. UnSouled by Neal Shusterman.  I read a lot of sequels this month, and I was extremely aggravated by the fact that in most of them, I was completely lost and couldn't remember anything that happened in the first book.  Luckily, I didn't have that problem with UnSouled.  Shusterman did a fantastic job with bringing up the events of the previous book, UnWholly, so that I easily remembered all the details and characters.  I love his writing style, it makes it so easy to keep all the different characters clear.  The plot progresses a lot and I'm so excited to find out how it all ends in the fourth book.

What books did you read last month that you loved?

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment