Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Top 5 Books of December 2013

How is it already 2014?!  That's so hard to believe.  I've been blogging for about a year and a half now.  I'm not blogging as often as I used to, as I'm a lot busier with school/college preparations this year, but I'm still going to keep up with blogging and I can't wait to see what 2014 will bring. :)

So here's the books I read in December:

- Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland
- Bittersweet Love by Jennifer L. Armentrout
- The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
- Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
- Goddess by Josephine Angelini
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
- Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Defy by Sara B. Larson
- Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
- The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
- The Shade of the Moon by Susan Beth Pfeffer
- Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
- Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
- Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott
- Just One Year by Gayle Forman
- Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore
- Champion by Marie Lu
- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Sadly, I didn't read as many great books as I'd hoped I would last month.  There were a few disappointing sequels and a lot of the books were just overall "meh."  Here's my top five, though:

1. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas.  This was one sequel that is truly every bit as good as the first book.  I was completely swept away in the engrossing fantasy world Mass had created, and I was on the edge of my seat with the action, plot twists, bittersweet romance, and wonderful characters.

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  This one really lives up to the hype.  It was so beautifully written and that ending made me cry my eyes out.  This book broke my heart.  I can't wait to see the movie.

3. Poison Princess by Kresley Cole.  I was surprised I liked this, given how most other reviewers didn't care for it as much.  Still, it was a solid 4-star read for me, and I enjoyed the plot and romance.  Yes, it had its flaws, but it was a fast-paced and fun read.  I'll definitely be reading the sequel.

4. Champion by Marie Lu.  What a great way to end a trilogy!  This will always be one of my favorite dystopian series.  There's a great combination of action scenes and character growth.  And the ending, although sad, still has hope for a better future.  I loved it.

5. The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead.  Much better than the first book, Bloodlines, in my opinion.  It's a very fast read, and even though I'm still not a fan of the main character Sydney (she's too bland and lacks in personality for me) I loved the way the romance developed.  ADRIAN.  He is just too swoon-worthy. <3 And the plot was very entertaining, too.

What books did you read this month?  Did you reach your reading challenge for 2013?  I did - my goal was 250, and I was able to hit 273!  I'll be posting a 2013 book survey this weekend, so keep an eye out.

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment