Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt


Goodreads summary:

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.


My review:

I adored Going Vintage!  It was a cute read, and I like that there's also some real depth and substance to the characters - it's not all light and fluffy.  This is definitely a great contemporary novel, and I found it refreshing to read such a fun story, especially since I'd been reading lots of paranormal novels recently.

Oh, the characters.  I loved Mallory, and what's great is that she really has lots of character growth in the story.  The "going vintage" part helps her learn more about herself and who she is.  And Oliver! *squeal* He was so sweet and funny, and I love how he "gets" Mallory and is there for her.  It was nice that their romance developed at a slower pace; it made it much more realistic.  I also enjoyed minor characters like Ginnie, Mallory's little sister.  The relationship between the two sisters is done so well.  And Mallory's grandmother and parents added to the story too.

I love books that make me laugh, and Going Vintage definitely did.  Mallory has a wry sense of humor, and some of the situations in this book are funny and had me cracking up.  Like I said above, the story also has substance to it, so it was a great blend of serious/funny.  Overall, Going Vintage is an adorable, heartfelt novel that I thoroughly enjoyed.  I'll have to check out more of this author's books!

My rating:  8 out of 10 (4 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment