Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: The Collector by Victoria Scott


Goodreads summary:

He makes good girls...bad.
Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.

My review:

I was so excited about this book, and it's definitely a fun read.  If you're looking for a unique paranormal story that will make you laugh, then The Collector is a must-read.  I can't wait to read the sequel!

Of course, I didn't like Dante at first.  He is completely full of himself and so quick to judge others.  And yet, his cocky attitude is also funny, and I cracked up numerous times.  I really loved his character arc; he changes and grows SO much by the end of the book, and I loved him by then!  Dante is such a fun, different narrator than in most YA books.

I liked Charlie's character a good deal as well.  It's sooo nice that she's not a stereotypical, gorgeous girl with amazing looks.  It made her character much more real, and she's so very sweet and easy to relate to.  The only thing that bothered me about her is that the way she acts sometimes seemed just a little too naive to me.

There are also some fantastic minor characters that I adored.  I loved Charlie's hilarious grandmother and her loyal best friends.  The plot is really inventive and interesting too, though the story's definitely more character-oriented.

While I liked the romance, I didn't love it.  Maybe it's the way that Dante makes fun of and pities Charlie so much at first - it just didn't make sense for him to change his mind about her so quickly.  But at the same time, the romance really is adorable and I love the interactions between Dante and Charlie.

It was so refreshing to read a paranormal story that isn't littered with cliches.  Filled with a great cast of characters, a cute romance, and an exciting plot, The Collector is truly unique.  I'm so glad I got the chance to read this!

My rating:  8 out of 10 (4 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment