Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review: Boundless by Cynthia Hand


Goodreads summary:

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.


My review:

Boundless is a heartbreakingly beautiful conclusion to what is probably the best angel series I've ever read.  I'm so sad that this series is over, but I can't wait to read what Cynthia Hand writes next.

One thing I didn't like: Tucker isn't in the story enough!  *sniffle* He's one of my favorite characters, so I really wish he'd been in the story more.  What is it with authors suddenly not including the guy characters as much in the final book in the series?  Same thing happened in Lauren DeStefano's Sever and Lauren Oliver's Requiem!  (This had better not happen with Clockwork Princess or I will be very mad...)

Aside from the fact that I missed Tucker, this is a truly well-written and emotional read.  I love the way Cynthia Hand writes relationships.  Clara's love for her family, her friend Angela, and of course, Tucker and Christian - all these relationships are portrayed in such a real, complicated way. 

And Clara is a character I've grown to love throughout this series.  I love her in Boundless, and she's faced with more and more difficulties that made me feel so bad for her.  Then there's Angela.  My heart broke for her in this story.  And Tucker and Christian...it's hard to say much without spoiling the story, so I'll just say that they are both such sweet guys and the ending is satisfying, but a bit sad, too.

The plot is full of twists and turns, and there's never a dull moment.  The writing is as addicting as ever.  I couldn't stop turning the pages, and before I knew it I'd finished this book in a day.  The Unearthly series is now one of my all-time favorite series, and it truly stands out from most paranormal fiction.  Be prepared - Boundless will break your heart, make you laugh, and make you cry. 

My rating:  10 out of 10 (5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment