Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Madman's Daughter

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases we can't wait to read!

My pick is The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd!

Goodreads summary:

London, 1894. Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father’s gruesome experiments. But when she learns her father is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations were true.

Juliet is accompanied by the doctor’s handsome young assistant and an enigmatic castaway, who both attract Juliet for very different reasons. They travel to the island only to discover the depths of her father’s madness: he has created animals that have been vivisected to resemble, speak, and behave as humans. Worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island’s inhabitants. Juliet knows she must end her father’s dangerous experiments and escape the island, even though her horror is mixed with her own scientific curiosity. As the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father’s genius—and madness—in her own blood.


My thoughts:

This book looks flat-out amazing.  It's set in London, after all.  It doesn't get much better than that.  And it's historical fiction!  Yay!  There's not enough YA historical fiction out there, so I'm excited about this.

I really hope that The Madman's Daughter will be as good as it looks.  It looks very thrilling, but I'm slightly wary at the hint in the summary that there might be a love triangle.  I'm not a huge fan of love triangles unless they're done well.  But still, this book sounds pretty epic!  I can't wait till it comes out in January.

What book are you waiting on this week?  Leave links to your WoW in the comments, and have a great week! :)

~ The Bookworm

8 comments:

  1. I don't usually read historical fiction but this one has definitely grabbed my attention. I think I'll have to give it a go. Love the cover!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look very good! I love the cover too, it's so simple and yet eye-catching!

      Great WoW!

      Delete
  2. It sounds so amazing! Love historical fiction, but can't seem to find that amny that sounds as amazing as this one. Great pick!
    Em @ A Beautiful Madness
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's hard to find good historical fiction. I can't wait for this one to come out!

      Nice WoW, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Really nice pick! I love the cover of this one! Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by my WoW :)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the cover too - the red font definitely makes it stand out. And thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the title! This one looks really good--and you're right. We could totally use more historical YAs :)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great title! And we definitely need more historical YAs, haha! :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete