Saturday, October 20, 2012

Book Review: Auracle

Goodreads summary:

16 year old Anna Rogan has a secret she's only shared with her best friend, Rei; she can astrally project out of her body, allowing her spirit to explore the world and the far reaches of the universe.

When there's a fatal accident and her classmate Taylor takes over Anna's body, what was an exhilarating distraction from her repressive home life threatens to become a permanent state. Faced with a future trapped in another dimension, Anna turns to Rei for help. Now the two of them must find a way to get Anna back into her body and stop Taylor from accusing an innocent friend of murder. Together Anna and Rei form a plan but it doesn't take into account the deeper feelings that are beginning to grow between them.


My review:

Let's all just stop for a second and appreciate this beauuutiful cover.  The gorgeous blue colors...her dress...the way she's floating just above the ground!  Love it!  This cover conveys the mood of the book very well, I think.  I especially like the waterfall in the background.  The waterfall plays an important part of the story and it's very fitting that it's part of the cover!

Okay, so onto the book.  I looove it!  It's a good balance of light and dark.  There's serious moments, but there's humor mixed in too.  (Kind of like Paranormalcy by Kiersten White!)  It's also completely unique.  I mean, astral projection?  It's a nice change from angels, vampires, werewolves, etc.!  Very, very cool concept.

Anna is such a great main character.  She's snarky, sweet, and all-around likeable.  Taylor was an interesting character - she's definitely mean and pretty heartless, but I couldn't help feeling sorry for her at times.  Rei...okay, I liked Rei, but I didn't love him.  He was really kind and caring and a great friend to Anna, and I loved how their friendship slowly turned into love, but he was just SO perfect.  Like, it seemed like he was flawless and never did anything wrong.  Slightly irritating at times.  But all in all I loved the cast of characters in this book!  Even side characters, like Rei's little sister (she was adorable!), Anna's parents, and Anna's friend Seth, were wonderful additions to the storyline!

Ooh, and the plot: pretty amazing!  It was unpredictable and I never knew what would happen next.  I read this book in one day...it's definitely unputdownable!  (Am I the only one who loves that word? :D Unputdownable?  It's so much fun to say!)  Anyway, back to the plot.  I enjoyed the ending and everything was resolved nicely!  I'm also glad to see that this book is a standalone.  There's way too many trilogies out there in YA fiction. 

And can I mention the romance?  It moved slowly and was very sweet.  It added a nice touch to the story, and I'm glad the romance didn't overtake the plot and become the main point of the story.  (*cough*Like it did in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer*cough*)  Despite realizing she was falling in love with Rei, Anna stayed focused on slightly more important issues, like getting her body back from Taylor.  I think this was good; if the story had been more focused on the romance, then the plot would've slow down a lot and lost some of the excitement.  So yeah, I like how the author handled the love story! 

Anyway, totally go read this book!  It's light, funny, touching, and a fast read!  If you're a fan of paranormal fiction with some romance, try Auracle!  I can't wait to see what Gina Rosati writes in the future.

My rating:  9 out of 10.

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment