Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Guardian

Goodreads summary:

Vigilance. The mission to safeguard Nikki Youngblood depends on the fragile alliance of two half-angel, half-human guardians, both struggling with intense feelings for the girl who has been assigned to their care. Mace, steadfast and deeply in love, wants to protect Nikki at all costs, while Raven's loyalty to Nikki finds him advocating for her independence and battling his own darker inclinations. At the same time, Nikki finds it harder and harder to choose between the two heavenly beings she may never have. Dangers intensify, and tensions between Mace and Raven flare as the purpose of their mission becomes clear. Can their defenses hold up to master manipulator Damon Vessler and the powerful secret he holds regarding Nikki's heritage? Can anyone protect Nikki from her true purpose and destiny?

My review:

*Spoiler alert!  Don't read this if you haven't read Halflings, the first book in this series*

While I didn't totally enjoy Guardian, I do think it was better than the first book in this series, Halflings.  I didn't like the insta-love and obvious bad guy in Halflings.  Guardian feels like a more developed book.  I do have to say, Guardian is definitely more character-driven than plot-driven.  For me, this was good, because I always prefer characters over anything else in a book.  But the plot did feel like it lacked something at times.

And yes, the love triangle continues in this book.  I tend to dislike love triangles unless they're well-done.  I can't decide if I like the love triangle in Guardian or not.  Sure, both boys are really sweet and I see why Nikki's in love with both of them, but she kept going back and forth between them!  I will say, though, that I'm not sure which guy she'll end up with and I can't wait to find out who it will be in the last book.

So: the characters.  I didn't admire Nikki as much in this book.  Like I said above, I understand how she's torn between Mace and Raven, but at times I wished she would just stop whining and make up her mind!  But aside from her love life issues, she had more character depth this time around.  She has to deal with the death of her parents and she desires revenge on their killer.  I liked seeing her how she handled herself and struggled to choose the right side; I sympathized for her so much!

Raven...wow.  I wasn't crazy about him in the first book, but I loved his character in Guardian!  He's a lot nicer, lol.  Seriously, we learn so much more about him and I felt really bad for him.  As for Mace he's just okay.  He's super protective of Nikki and had all these expectations for her.  Normally I love it when a guy is sweet and protective in a book, but Mace just annoyed me.

The plot: okay.  Like I said, the story is really based more on character growth than action.  Towards the last half or third, though, things start picking up.  There's more action, more secrets uncovered, and we find out something important about Nikki's past.  Definitely makes me want to read book 3 now!

Also, this is kind of off topic, but there's this scene where some people got wounded and Nikki tears off the sleeve of her shirt to use as a bandage.  I've never understood how people in books can just rip off their sleeve so easily.  I mean, isn't that difficult to do?  Unless of course the shirt is made of very thin material.  But still, it's been driving me crazy how authors constantly do that.  Doesn't seem very realistic.  Anyway...yeah.  *end rant*

Despite a few flaws, I did enjoy Guardian.  It was a great sequel and I can't wait for Avenger, which comes out in March!  So glad I don't have to wait a whole year for it.  If you liked Halflings, you'll like this sequel!

My rating:  7 out of 10

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment