Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Review: Inside Out

Goodreads summary:

Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.


I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.


My review:

Loved this book!  I've read so many dystopians this year, you'd think I would be sick of them, but I really enjoyed Inside Out.  The world that the author created was so unique, and that ending - huge cliffhanger!

First, the world-building.  At first glance, it may not seem so different from other dystopians, but we slowly find out more about the upper and lower levels.  And the descriptions were great; I loved the setting and how you feel as if you're immersed in the world from the very beginning.

The plot - amazing!  It was full of twists and turns, and I never knew who Trella could trust.  I was constantly wondering what would happen next. 

As for the characters, they were all so so good.  Trella is awesome.  Finally, we have a realistic main character who actually acts like a teenager should act.  Trella manages to be both tough and vulnerable at the same time.  She's clever and not afraid to take action, unlike so many female characters who do nothing but sit around whining.  She makes mistakes, but she learns from them and never stops trying to do what's right.

Lastly, I wanted to mention the love story.  Thankfully, Inside Out is a dystopian book with a touch of romance, rather than a romance with a couple dystopian elements.  Only a small portion of the book is focused on the romance, and it was refreshing that Trella and Riley developed a friendship before falling in love.  And Riley was actually pleasant and caring, a nice change from guys who stalk the main character and it's considered romantic (*coughcough*Twilight*coughcough*).

So yeah, I think anyone who likes dystopian would enjoy this, and I think Hunger Games fans especially would like it.  Definitely recommended!

My rating:  9 out of 10

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment